Re~Stirred Forum

All Posts Limited to 999999 Characters

EMAIL Forum Administrators        
It is currently 24 Sep 2014, 01:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Bob needs more staff, I don't know how many I have?
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 23:10 

The BBC has an item on the planned extra PCC staff, in part using Matt Bateman's criticism:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21030300

Laughably:
Quote:
The West Midlands PCC office was unable to give a total of how many staff currently work for Mr Jones.

Let me see. All the PCC staff work @ Lloyd House, on the second floor in a suite of rooms and they don't know how many staff they have!

Post subject: Re: Watching Bob Jones, West Mids PCC
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 01:02 

This is one of the usual anti-Labour hatchet jobs from Midlands Today probably originated by the very right wing Patrick Burns. The "unable to give the information" line is their normal trick. Used more times than I count by e.g. Michele Paduano on hostile NHS stories. Given the staff will be reasonably small anyone could tell them the answer - even if they didn't have it to hand they would say "ring us back in half an hour". But Midlands Today obviously didn't. It's an old game.

Post subject: Watching Bob Jones, West Mids PCC
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 10:35 

Thanks Andy F., it did seem a rather curious line. Plus on reflection I am sure some research would have found at least a good indicator, e.g. WMPA Annual Report / Accounts.

Perhaps Bob and his staff need to update the BBC with the information, even issue a press release? I have noticed a couple of good changes to items on the PCC website, including the removal of a photo of Yvonne Mosquito with a Labour Party rosette.

Anyone read Private Eye? It carried a story about Yvonne in the last edition.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 15:32 

Andy Foster wrote:
This is one of the usual anti-Labour hatchet jobs from Midlands Today probably originated by the very right wing Patrick Burns.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You do know how to give a good laugh, don't you (even if it's not deliberate)?

Andy Foster wrote:
The "unable to give the information" line is their normal trick. Used more times than I count by e.g. Michele Paduano on hostile NHS stories. Given the staff will be reasonably small anyone could tell them the answer - even if they didn't have it to hand they would say "ring us back in half an hour". But Midlands Today obviously didn't. It's an old game.
So the police PR people are so dumb that they haven't noticed this technique? Couldn't they have rung Midlands Today back themselves (if this was actually the case, as, at the moment it's your speculation) rather than wait for another call? That way, they'd have a degree of control that you suggest they completely lack. In PR terms, it's a no-brainer, surely?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 16:30 

Fergus wrote:
Andy Foster wrote:
This is one of the usual anti-Labour hatchet jobs from Midlands Today probably originated by the very right wing Patrick Burns.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You do know how to give a good laugh, don't you (even if it's not deliberate)?

Andy Foster wrote:
The "unable to give the information" line is their normal trick. Used more times than I count by e.g. Michele Paduano on hostile NHS stories. Given the staff will be reasonably small anyone could tell them the answer - even if they didn't have it to hand they would say "ring us back in half an hour". But Midlands Today obviously didn't. It's an old game.
So the police PR people are so dumb that they haven't noticed this technique? Couldn't they have rung Midlands Today back themselves (if this was actually the case, as, at the moment it's your speculation) rather than wait for another call? That way, they'd have a degree of control that you suggest they completely lack. In PR terms, it's a no-brainer, surely?

Boring but real stats on the programme if you want them Fergus. When I was unwell in 2009-10 I tried to keep a log of programmes I saw. I could never understand how they got away with it - the bias was so flagrant - but after the revelations about George Entwistle, the Savile business and the Newsnight programme which slandered Lord McAlpine, I think I understand better. There just aren't the overall editorial controls, so a rogue operation is not er... policed.

If a journalist wants to play the "unable to tell us" or "won't reply" game they can always get away with it. A classic technique is slipping the question into the middle of something else as if it didn't matter much. (Ex-student journalist writing here.) Good journalists, and that means most of the BBC, wouldn't do it. Midlands Today clearly has no such reservations.

Bob Jones will certainly have to sharpen up his PR operation, yes. He won't have realised that he was going to be a Midlands Today target. He'll know now.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 17:01 

Andy Foster wrote:
Bob Jones will certainly have to sharpen up his PR operation, yes. He won't have realised that he was going to be a Midlands Today target. He'll know now.
If he didn't expect to be in a post that would be of strong interest to the local media (regardless of alleged biases) then he's an idiot and not up to the job. If the bias is as clear as you claim (but see below), are you telling me (and you seem to be) that the Labour party locally are unaware of it, and that no advice was given by them to Bob Jones to keep his eyes peeled for precisely this sort of thing? Or that they did give advice, and he ignored it? In which case my first sentence applies. But...

Andy Foster wrote:
Boring but real stats on the programme if you want them Fergus. When I was unwell in 2009-10 I tried to keep a log of programmes I saw. I could never understand how they got away with it - the bias was so flagrant - but after the revelations about George Entwistle, the Savile business and the Newsnight programme which slandered Lord McAlpine, I think I understand better. There just aren't the overall editorial controls, so a rogue operation is not er... policed.
I wonder whether you accept that there is an inherent national bias in the BBC against Conservatives? If you do, then I find it difficult to reconcile an overall bias in one direction, with such a dramatically opposing bias in a sub-section of the BBC. Of course, if you don't (a more likely scenario), then you merely demonstrate that (in this case) bias is in the eye of the beholder. Given your overall political position, I'd say that what you are complaining about is that the pro-left bias in Midlands Today is not pronounced enough.

Andy Foster wrote:
...Midlands Today clearly has no such reservations.
A nice conclusion on the basis of no discernible evidence at all. Or perhaps that's how you'd like to think it is.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 19:38 

This is OT but a reply to Fergus.

I'm not telling you any of the things you are trying to suggest I am. I'm just trying to explain a hostile article on the basis of what I know about Midlands Today, generally and from regular viewing and noting over one period, and how I know journalists work. That's all.

On your general question, I don't think the BBC nationally has a perceptible political bias in the narrow sense of political parties, and usually in a wider sense as well. I thought the Conservative Party had stopped complaining about the BBC's so-called "left wing bias".

A few exceptions. 1. Reporting of the Iraq war was slanted against British participation and was overwhelmingly negative about the effect of British troops there (not the troops themselves). That agreed with my view as it happens but I still didn't like it. 2. Religious reporting is biased in a socially conservative direction. Robert Pigott seems to have a special licence to be homophobic. Perfect example yesterday when Nadia Ewelha was headlined as winning her case about wearing a cross, but the more significant verdicts in the other cases were largely ignored. Also I saw no spokesperson from the gay community to balance the religious ones (the other cases were very relevant to the gay community). 3. Cultural reporting has a slight tendency to be of a Guardian-modernism kind. 4. Panorama had for a period a distinctly right-wing agenda though this is less obvious than it was.

And it's tremendously London biased of course, but we all know that.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 22:04 

Richard wrote:
The appointment of the three assistant commissioners will mean that the areas outside of Birmingham are covered by someone appointed 'on merit' whilst Birmingham is the responsibility of someone appointed 'not on merit'.

Anyone know which councillors have been lined up for the jobs?

Here's the job info pack:

http://www.westmidlands-pcc.gov.uk/medi ... n_2013.pdf

I like the people skills requirements for the assistants who will cover the areas other than Birmingham:

"Communication with citizens and local groups particularly in Birmingham"

Post subject: Who will become an Asst PCC?
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 23:49 

Question by JC:
Quote:
Anyone know which councillors have been lined up for the jobs?

On 5/12/12 Politics in B'ham id'd that one Asst PCC would be Cllr Judy Foster (Labour, Dudley), who sat on the PCP's first meeting (as an alternate member) and was on the WMPA from 1998, serving as a Vice Chair at the end.

At Dudley she holds the portfolios for Community Safety and Transport, I assume with an allowance. There is a biography on the WMPA website, she is a UNISON officer, employed by the Fire Service (although rarely is seen there, allegedly):http://www.west-midlands-pa.gov.uk/member_JFoster_biog.asp

I am aware that some have speculated that Bishop Derek Webley would get a post; personally I doubt that, especially as he stood against Bob in the PCC election.

If you want to cast the net wider, have a look at the PCP alternate members (on a previous post).

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 23:53 

I have noticed that Adrian Goldberg has taken an interest in this on Radio WM and I think he takes a fair stance, with Bob Jones being able to provide his views.

Post subject: What does Bob Jones know about Walsall?
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 20:28 

Given the current budget and extra cuts made one wonders how one of WMP's bigger building projects, a new police station @ Walsall, fits in today. From the Express & Star, March 2011:
Quote:
A new £12.7 million police station will be built in Walsall within three years...

Link:http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2011/03/18/walsall-to-get-new-police-station/

The Green Lane building, a building from the early 1960's, is often said to be unsafe, with frequent flooding and the custody facilities have been condemned - so the new station @ Bloxwich is now used.

Walsall Council support a move to a site @ Hatherton Road, occupied by an ex-Trading Standards office and a garage.

Incidentally has the PCC been told of the impending movement of thirty police officers from Walsall to B'ham West & Central? Plus a similar move of officers to Wolverhampton, from another borough?

Post subject: In Coventry with Bob Jones, West Mids PCC
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 00:21 

From the Coventry Evening Telegraph:
Quote:
The new West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner turned up for a meeting with residents at Cheylesmore Community Centre this week. But only a paltry six people went along – including the two city councillors who organised the event. It later emerged only members of the Coventry Labour Party group had been invited, and the low turnout came after 60 emails to group members had been sent out.

Link:http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2013/01/19/anger-at-low-turnout-at-crime-commissioner-meeting-in-cheylesmore-92746-32632684/#.UPsRAa0mVwI.twitter

It is unclear if this was a public meeting or just for Labour Party members. It certainly does not feature on the PCC website.

Post subject: Re: In Coventry with Bob Jones, West Mids PCC
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 07:15 

bunnyson wrote:
From the Coventry Evening Telegraph:
Quote:
The new West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner turned up for a meeting with residents at Cheylesmore Community Centre this week. But only a paltry six people went along – including the two city councillors who organised the event. It later emerged only members of the Coventry Labour Party group had been invited, and the low turnout came after 60 emails to group members had been sent out.

Link:http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2013/01/19/anger-at-low-turnout-at-crime-commissioner-meeting-in-cheylesmore-92746-32632684/#.UPsRAa0mVwI.twitter

It is unclear if this was a public meeting or just for Labour Party members. It certainly does not feature on the PCC website.

Remarkably feeble defence of what happened by Cllr Sehmi, the organiser. But, even so, these meetings should be routinely placed on the PCC website.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 11:20 

You can't blame Bob for this one. It's impressive that he managed to attend the meeting at just two days notice.

Typical of Coventry Labour Party to only think of their own. ;)

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013, 17:31 

I went to a local library to ask if they had a copy of Private Eye, they informed me, after using their computer systems that the only library that might have a copy was the central library.

I went to the Central Library and asked if they had a copy.

I was informed that they had cancelled their subscription and would not be renewing it.

I know it is a bit mean of me to not go out and buy a copy, but I just wanted to read what it was reporting about Deputy Commissioner Yvonne Mosquito, as mentioned above.

I am not sure if it is part of the cut backs that the council will be discontinuing many of the library subscriptions or if someone has fallen out with Private Eye?

Post subject: Who will join Bob Jones, West Mids PCC?
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2013, 23:51 

Tomorrow midday is the closing date for applying for the posts of three Assistant PCC and three non-executive Strategic Policing Board members.

One applicant is expected to be Zahid Nawaz, a former Independent member of the WMP Authority (from 2007-2012). In 2010 he tried to be selected as a Labour parliamentary candidate, his bio then stated:
Quote:
West Midlands regional manager for the Equality and Human Rights Commission, a former parliamentary researcher and has served in a variety of capacities as an international relations/security consultant. He also sits on the WestMids police authority, where he’s curiously described as an independent.

Link:http://www.pitsnpots.co.uk/2010/03/stoke-central-long-list/

His role at regional manger post is under threat from redundancy, his only known job 1999-2013; other sources indicate he is a UNITE trade unionist.

It will be interesting to see if Bob Jones goes for talent from beyond the old Police Authority, let alone non-Labour Party members.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 13:16 

These posts are open for anyone to apply for, that is fair and as long as no one is discriminated against, within the laws stipulations, what is there to criticise?

If one has had previous experience on the Police Authority is that not an advantage just as I am sure if a previous senior police officer applied for one of the posts, that would be an advantage over someone applying with no experience of policing, scrutiny or being involved in a strategic or management position in a large company or organisation.

We have a large number of former officers released under the A19 regulation and I would hope that a significant number of them will have applied for these positions.

Some who are taking legal action against their previous employer for unfair dismissal might not feel it an appropriate time to apply for such positions, but I would encourage them to still apply.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 13:33 

gerry wrote:
These posts are open for anyone to apply for, that is fair and as long as no one is discriminated against, within the laws stipulations, what is there to criticise?

Absolutely nothing. A shame that the Deputy PCC was not so appointed.

gerry wrote:
If one has had previous experience on the Police Authority is that not an advantage just as I am sure if a previous senior police officer applied for one of the posts, that would be an advantage over someone applying with no experience of policing, scrutiny or being involved in a strategic or management position in a large company or organisation.

I'd suggest that previous membership of the Police Authority could also be disadvantageous.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 20:54 

Police vehicles without Tax Discs are something the new PCC might want to look at.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 21:18 

Police vehicles, fire engines, ambulances and health service vehicles, military, crown vehicle
and other vehicles such as road gritters and snow plough are exempt from paying road tax.

Although they generally display tax dices regardless to suppress complaints from members
of the public showing "Nil" tax paid.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013, 12:10 

gerry wrote:
Police vehicles without Tax Discs are something the new PCC might want to look at.
I see you have made the local news Gerry

Birmingham Mail : Cop this - police vans caught on camera with expired and no tax discs

Post subject: Helping Bob Jones, West Mids PCC
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 11:49 

On 13th March 2013 (9.30-3 PM) the PCC is holding a 'Trust & Confidence Summit' @ Tally Ho, Edgbaston, chaired by the Deputy PCC, Yvonne Mosquito; they are seeking attendance via the PCC website:http://www.westmidlands-pcc.gov.uk/news/2013-stories/trust-and-confidence-summit-13-march-2013-doreen-lawrence-to-speak/

Bob's explanation in part:
Quote:
Only by asking the community about what builds trust and confidence will we find out how policing can be responsive to local needs and local priorities.

Quite a few people have signed up, it is free.

Post subject: Careful Bob Jones!
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2013, 17:43 

The bookings currently show just over eighty people attending and I am puzzled that sixteen WMP and five WMFS are attending. It would be a shame if the 'community' are crowded out!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 12:45 

The venue is quite large, but I do not know what its lawful maximum occupation limit is, but guess more than 80. I presume as the speaker is Mrs. Lawrence that some occupancy will be taken by press. There was a lot of negative media for the police surrounding the Lawrence tragedy and it certainly did not boost my trust and confidence in the police.

The number of police officers scheduled, so far, to attend the meeting is worrying. The event is quite long and to have so many officers away from duty on that day is not an efficient use of resources.

The feedback from the community members that attend can be recorded by civilian staff employed by the Police and Crime Commissioner.

I am not sure why so many staff from West Midlands Fire Service nee to be in attendance.

I know that there are suggestions to locate police officers in shared accommodation at fire stations on the lines of the present ambulance sharing arrangements.

If one calculates the cost of all these public service employees attending it will come to a significant amount.

They normally provide food at these events, I hope this is not the case for this event as we are in times of severe austerity.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 14:05 

West Midlands Police are to get new vehicles to add to their fleet.

The Nissan Leaf, Hybrid car. I hope it is made in the UK and thus any purchases will help our economy.

Great for the green issue, other than the immense green house gases produced in making this Green Car.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 14:25 

gerry wrote:
West Midlands Police are to get new vehicles to add to their fleet.

The Nissan Leaf, Hybrid car. I hope it is made in the UK and thus any purchases will help our economy.

Great for the green issue, other than the immense green house gases produced in making this Green Car.

Hmmm... Not sure its good for the BoT figures.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 23:13 

Bob has published his draft Police and Crime Plan that contains his objectives for the year.

Objectives for 2013-14:

Seek to reduce overall crime by x%

That covers it :D

Seek :D

http://www.westmidlands-pcc.gov.uk/medi ... y_2013.pdf

Post subject: Bob Jones has a (draft) plan
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2013, 13:19 

The PCC's plan is a very mixed bag, on my first reading it is hard to see any divergence from what WMP planned - minus business partnering of course.

I am wary of these objectives (pg.14):
Quote:
progressing initiatives to ensure the workforce of West Midlands Police is representative, at all levels of the organisation, of the communities served based on the principle that this approach delivers better policing delivery and outcomes.

What evidence is there 'this approach delivers better policing...'? For many years WMPA was unable to attract young people and it was obvious to a visitor that most staff were middle-aged. How many Poles and Somalis do they employ? In the last month WMP has promoted a group of new inspectors, not one BME shown on the group photo; amidst those promoted to sergeant one BME out of sixty - according to observers.

Then there is this:
Quote:
developing a menu of options allowing individuals more flexibility around their working hours and patterns and locations, linked to organisational requirements and development of the Force technology and estates strategies.

Who is he kidding! This is a principle that will enable managers to move staff without compensation and nothing to do with 'allowing individuals'.

He has set himself quite a challenge here:
Quote:
implementing reductions in the number of supervisory ranks and police staff managerial levels

Does WMP now need four Asst. Ch. Constables? Has WMP reduced the number of senior posts already? A current civil legal action over A19, by the Supts. Assoc. has found nationally virtually every vacancy was filled.

It is annoying that the Draft Plan uses 'X' too often.

Missing from the plan is any acknowledgement that with less resources, however efficiently used, something will not be done - either partially or fully. That is already very clear over fraud being reported and recorded for intelligence purposes nationally. Acquisitive or property crime is normally difficult to detect, it can only be prevented with extensive cooperation.

Perhaps the PCC views staff morale as within the 'operational independence' of the Chief Constable, but with reductions in staff levels and an array of changes in pay & conditions. If you read the Deputy Chief Constable's blog you'd think "All is well".

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2013, 14:39 

The Crime Panel spent an hour discussing the Plan so let’s hope they questioned the X’s.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satelli ... b_2013.pdf

My very favourite part of the Plan is:

Quote:
Those who directly access the policing service (customers) and those who indirectly engage with policing (citizens) will be provided with wider choice, bespoke service delivery and greater consistency and reliability. The systems created through this process will enable an extended relationship to be created with customers and citizens. For example, through enhanced customer intelligence it will be possible to have a better understanding of those who call the police and for an appropriate response to be developed.

Not that it should be too hard to guess what the customer expects from calling the police, but I hope Bob’s not relying too heavily on customers with enhanced intelligence.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 09:04 

'Watchdog’s revolt over police commissioner’s assistants'

http://www.birminghampost.net/dailybull ... -32805784/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next