[b]The Council Business Management Committee
met this afternoon and Labour's plans major changes to the Constitution and how the council is run.
The Cabinet will be have eight Councillors, including the Leader and Deputy Leader:
• Deputy Leader (Finance, Corporate and Human Resources)
• Cabinet Member – Social Cohesion and Equalities
• Cabinet Member – Green, Safe and Smart City
• Cabinet Member – Health and Wellbeing
• Cabinet Member – Children and Family Services
• Cabinet Member – Development, Jobs and Skills
• Cabinet Member – Commissioning, Contracting and Improvement
...and in English what do these job titles actually mean? Who has come up with them?
If an elected member came up to you and said "I am the Council Cabinet member for the "Green, Safe and Smart City" they would either get scratched heads, or raucous laughter. Some people may be thinking on hearing that the aforesaid councillor has been abducted by little green men! Would they be in charge of running the refuse collections (Green), the street wardens (Safe) and the education service (Smart). Or will they arrive in their office at the Council House after the AGM next week and not have a clue what their responsibilites are?
Of course if the council really wanted to simplify it's structure it could have a:
- Education and Childrens Services Department
- Finance and Personnel Department
- Leisure and Local Services Department
- Social Services Department
- Housing and Communities Department
- Economic Development and Regeneration Department
- Transportation Department
- Environmental Services and Trading Standards Department
For this consultancy which should improve the efficiency of the council, by putting in place a structure that most taxpayers would understand - please could BCC make a cheque for several thousand pounds payable to Re~Stirred.com....